Harley White Jr.
Film / Video; Music: Composer, Singer / Songwriter; Storyteller; Writing
Bassist, Composer, Arranger Since 1991, Harley White Jr. has been a prominent figure on the Sacramento music scene in a wide array of roles from pop recording artist with “Papa’s Culture”, as a creative force with “Blackalicious”, “Original Heads” and “Dr. Echo”, as an award winning bassist, and as an impresario presenting the WhiteNoise™ festival.
Now, with the Harley White Jr. (HWJO) Jazz Orchestra, White returns to his musical roots as the son of prominent Bay Area Educator, Bassist, Harley White Sr.
* 1991- 1996 "Papa’s Culture" (Funk/Pop/World Beat)
* 1995 to present "Original Heads"(Funk/Jazz/Hip Hop)
* 2005 "Harley White Jr. Orchestra" (Swing/Blues) Albums
* 1993 Papa’s Culture “Papa’s Culture but…” (Elektra Records)
* 1995 Melvin Van Peebles “Ghetto Gothic” (Capitol Records)
* 1998 Cake "Prolonging the Magic " (Volcano Records)
* 1998 Blackalicious ”Nia “ (Quannum Records)
* 2002 Blackalicious “Blazing Arrows” (MCA/Universal)
* 2002 Ben Harper/Blackalicious “Blazing Arrows” (MCA/Universal)
* 2004 Jose Montoya/Casindio "Locura Cura" (Royal Chicano Air Force)
* 2005 Faith Evans “ The First Lady” (Capitol) Theatrical
* 1995 Uncle Bend’s: An American Negro Narrative, Sacramento Theatre Company (Composer, Actor)
* 1999 “Live from Death Row: The Scottsboro Boys” by Mark Stein, Sacramento River Stage. (Composer, Musical Direction, Actor)
* 2009 Sizzling Sirens Burlesque Experience (Composer, Musical Direction)
Film/TV "It’s Going Down" for Universal Motion Picture release "Brown Sugar" "Beautiful Dream" for UPN Television Show "Girlfriends" "Chattanooga Choo Choo" Motion picture soundtrack under the direction of Nelson Riddle Teaching Sacramento Waldorf High School Sacramento Metropolitan Arts Comm. Artist in residence Thomas Jefferson Elementary The "Housecats" and "Take 5" youth jazz ensembles Edward Kimble Elemtarry School Skip’s Music "Stairway to Stardom" Guitar Workshop (Sacramento Ca) Pacific Housing Music Works Awards
* Platinum Record for Faith Evans” The First Lady” as songwriter and producer
* “Sammie” awards (Sacramento News and Review Award) for groups Papa’s Culture, Original Heads, Dutch Falconi Orchestra, Daisy Spot, the Housekats,Critical Achievement and Best Bassist.
* Direct from Death Row: The Scottsboro Boys (winner of Best Ensemble, L.A. Weekly Award, and Best Ensemble, Los Angeles Drama Critics Circle Award).
* Rolling Stone Magazine "Best New Faces" 1993